Project name: Hybrid inorganic-organic nanocomposites films of layered double hydroxides with hydrophobic/protective coating surfaces (HYLAYHY)
Project no.: HYLAYHY PCCA 137/2012
Project code: PN-II-PT-PCCA-2012-137
PN II Program Name: Partnerships
Contracting authority: Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding
Project director: Ruxandra BIRJEGA
Contract value: 1,700,000 lei
Project duration: 36 luni
CO :National Institute for Lasers, Plasma and Radiation Physics(NILPRP)
Project Director : Dr. Ruxandra Birjega
P1-Univesity of Bucharest , Romania–UB , Faculty of Chemistry
Project Partner Responsable: Conf.univ. Dr. Ing. Rodica Zavoianu
P2-National Institute for Research and Development for Chemistry and Petrochemistry (ICECHIM) , Bucharest-Romania
Project Partner Responsable: Dr.ing. Mihai Cosmin Corobea
The aim of the project is to produce and study layered double hydroxides (LDHs) thin films modified with organic compounds in order to obtain hydrophobic surface acting as protective coatings. The LDH component will be Zn-Al LDH and Mg-Al LDH prepared at different Me2+/Me3+ ratios. LDH will play either a host material role, to accommodate organic molecule such as fatty acids and macromolecules as a vinyl acetate copolymer or, a guest role, to produce hybrid nanocomposites of LDH/polymers. Laser techniques, pulsed laser deposition (PLD) and matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation (MAPLE) will be used for the deposition of LDH –based thin films. It is a novel application of laser techniques for the fabrication of complex nano-structures. Extensive characterization will be performed in order to evidence the critical elements which influence the chemical composition and surface topography of the films, the two main elements governing the wettability properties of surfaces. The host matrix composition, the compatibility between the organic and the inorganic component, deposition conditions, protocols of preparation will be correlated with the hydrophobic properties of the as-prepared films. All the materials used for HYLAYHY project, the inorganic LDH component and the organic compounds are environmentally friendly.
The aim of the project is to produce and study layered double hydroxides (LDHs) thin films modified with organic compound in order to fabricate hydrophobic surface. The project address the protective/anticorrosion property of hydrophobic in order to be use as coating for light metals surfaces ( aluminum, magnesium or magnesium alloys). The goal will be to replace the extremely toxic chromates coatings or organic based coating sensitive to an “aging” process with hybrid ecological materials.
The project uses the layered double hydroxides both as “host” and “guest” material. The studies will extend also on powders to be used as targets for the thin films production via laser techniques. Pulsed laser deposition (PLD) and matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation (MAPLE) are the laser techniques used for the deposition of the films.
Zn-Al and Mg-Al based layered double hydroxides are the materials to be used. Systematically and thoroughly studies devoted to the optimization of the intercalation capability and to correlation of the organic “guest” molecule with the type Zn-Al or Mg-Al layered double hydroxides and their Me2+/Me3+ ratio used as “host” material.
Stage 1 is devoted to inorganic LDH films and to the ability of laser techniques to be use for inorganic LDH deposition.
Stage 2 deals with hybrid organic-inorganic LDH systems, powder and films using as guest organic component fatty-acids.
In stage 3 hybrid organic-inorganic LDH systems, powder and films using as guest organic macromolecules are studied and prepared.
Stage 4 is devoted to the study and preparation of hybrid organic-inorganic LDH/polymer systems with LDHs as nanofillers.
The project is placed on the crossroad of material science and solid state, laser and plasma physics, proposing a topic of research with a high innovation degree and certain applicability and prospects towards other scientific domains of research. The project will use the equipments already existing at each partners. Young researchers, PhD students will have the opportunity to develop their skills by using the up to date equipments existing in each group.
The project lies under the Government’s economic, social and political strategy for the European integration, for the alignment to European standards regarding new materials or technologies enviromentally friendly.
The new hybrid nanocomposite materials will be comparable to those obtained world wide and due to open scientific community we are leaving in, will create the opportunity for national and international cooperation and for information exchange.
Due to the interdisciplinarity of the consortium the results can be disseminated in scientific communities with a large spectrum of specialization , from materials, nanostructured material, polymers, alloys, laser tecqniques etc.
We aimed to produce at least 6 papers or scientific communication and to attend to high level conferences on material science, polymers, nanostructures,and lasers technologies.
Stage I: 12.07.2012 - 31.12.2012 (click for the scientific abstract of the stage)
Preparation and characterization of powdered and thin films of Mg-Al and Zn-Al LDHs. Wettability of the LDHs thin films. Thermal effect treatment of Mg-Al, Zn-Al thin films.
Dissemination of stage I:
1 ISI article (2.175) R. Ianchis, M. C. Corobea, D. Donescu, I. D. Rosca, L. O. Cinteza, L. C. Nistor , E. Vasile A. Marin, S. Preda, Advanced functionalization of organoclay nanoparticles by silylation and theirpolystyrene nanocomposites obtained by miniemulsion polymerization, JOURNAL OF NANOPARTICLE RESEARCH (2012) 14:1233 DOI 10.1007/s11051-012-1233-6, IF 2012= 2.175
1 poster presented at ICPEPA-8, (8th International Conference on PhotoExcited Processes and Applications , August 12-17, 2012, Rochester, NY, SUA) A.Matei, R. Birjega, M.Filipescu, C. Luculescu, M.Dinescu, R. Zavoianu, O.D. Pavel. “Mg-Al based hydrotalcite-like materials and their derived mixed oxides deposited by pulsed laser deposition”
Stage II: 01.01.2013 - 31.12.2013
(Al&Mg alloy versus Si(100) & glass.
Preparation and characterization of hybrid LDH powders and thin films using small chain organic molecules (fatty acids) as guest species.
Value of stage II: 399,188 lei
Stage III: 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2014 (click for the scientific abstract of the stage)
characterization of hybrid composite LDHs powders and thin films using organic
macromolecules as guest species
Value of stage III: 729,881 lei
Dissemination of stage III:
A. Vlad, R. Birjega, A. Matei, C. Luculescu, B. Mitu, M. Dinescu, R. Zavoianu,
O.D. Pavel, Retention of heavy metals on layered double hydroxides thin films
deposited by pulsed laser deposition, Applied Surface Science 302 (2014)
2. Octavian Dumitru Pavel, Rodica Zăvoianu, Ruxandra Bîrjega, Emilian Angelescu, Guylene Costentin, Michel Che Exploring an alternative route for meixnerite synthesis; the impact of the gaseous environment on the reconstruction of the lamellar structure and the catalytic performances accepted for publication in Applied Clay Science : CLAY6214R2
1. 1. A. Matei, M. Filipescu, R. Birjega, B. Mitu, A. Vlad, M. Dinescu, R. Zavoianu, M. C. Corobea, Fatty acids/ layered double hydroxides (LDH) composite thin films deposited by MAPLE and PLD EMRS 2014 Spring Meeting Lille, France – May 26th - 30th, SYMPOSIUM J Laser interaction with advanced materials: fundamentals and applicatioms
2. 2. A. Matei, R. Birjega, B. Mitu, A. Vlad, G. Epurescu, M. Dinescu, R. Zavoianu, M. C. Corobea, Stearic acid/ layered double hydroxides (LDH) composite thin films deposited by laser techniques ICPAM -10, International Conference on Physics of Advanced Materials 22-28 Septembrie Iasi,Romania
3. 3. Rodica Zăvoianu, Octavian D. Pavel, Corina Bradu, Anca Cruceanu, Ruxandra Bîrjega, Cosmin M . Corobea Sustainable synthesis of Zn-Al-LDH catalysts for ecofriendly manufacture of epoxides » 1 comunicare orala la TOCAT7 (Seventh Tokyo Conference on Advanced Catalytic Science and Technology, Kyoto 1-6 iunie 2014)
4. 4. Mihai C. Corobea, Zina Vuluga, Rodica Zavoianu, Ruxandra Birjega, Dorel Florea, Raluca Ianchis, Denis M. Panaitescu Lucrare invitata (sustinere orala) “ Clay nanoparticles and polymer nanocomposites“1st International Symposium on Nanoparticles/Nanomaterial and Applications 20th – 22nd January 2014 Caparica – Portugal
5. 5. Zina Vuluga, Mihai Cosmin Corobea, Constantin Radovici, Michaela Iorga, Dorel Florea, “The properties of Halloysite-hydrotalcite hybrid nanocomposites based on polypropylene “a XXXIII-a Conferinta Nationala de Chimie Calimanesti – Caciulata” October 1-3, 2014 Calimanesti-Caciulata, Valcea-Romania
Stage IV: 01.01.2015 - 31.12.2015 (click for the scientific abstract of the stage)
characterization of hybrid polymer/LDH nanocomposites powders and thin films
using LDHs as polymer fillers
Value of stage IV: 318,750 lei