Project name: Detection system for harmful food additive: monosodium glutamate
Contract no. 270 / 01.10.2015
Project code: PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-0976
Program: Human Resources
Project type: Research projects for the stimulation of the forming of young independent research teams
Project director: Andreea Matei
Coordinator: National Institute for Lasers, Plasma, and Radiation Physics
Financing Authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
Nowadays, a strong research effort is devoted to avoid eating food with harmful additives and to inform people about the side effects of these additives used in food industry. Consumers should be aware about what they buy and they should feel safe about the food they eat.
There is a continuous and increasing need of simple detection systems, new solutions and active materials in order to identify the harmful elements or elements exceeding the limit amount in food and beverages.
The aim of the Desyre project is to develop a detection system with high sensitivity and low detection limit for the harmful additive: monosodium glutamate MSG (additive number 621). The device developed by Desyre project will be based on voltammetric sensing. The working electrode will be layered double hydroxides thin films prepared by laser techniques grown on platinum coated isolator.
The project will investigate the possibility and the costs for making the device a portable system. The main goal of the project is to grow crystalline layered double hydroxides as thin films, using laser based deposition. Desyre project comes to fulfil the miniaturization tendency by finding alternative methods to fabricate the active sensing material of the detector.
General objectives: The Desyre project aim is to develop a detection system with high sensitivity and low detection limit for the harmful additives using as test additive monosodium glutamate.
First stage - 31.12.2015 (click for the scientific report)
Establishing the combination of food additive MSG – LDH or composite LDH to be integrated in the sensor
1.1 Studies on the selection of layered double hydroxides capable to detect MSG
Value of first stage: 90.000 lei
Second Stage - 31.12.2016
Selection of materials and LDH thin films deposition
1. Establishing the combination of food additive – LDH or composite LDH to be integrated in the sensor
Activity 1. Selection of materials capable to detect other agents that can influence the voltammetric measurements
Activity 2. Testing methods for extracting the additive from food/ beverages (solvent, temperature regime)
2. LDH thin films deposition
Activity 1. Selection of the appropriate deposition conditions to produce continuous, adherent and orientated LDH films
Activity 2. Structural, morphological and chemical characterization of the deposited layers
Value of second stage: 236.992 lei
- Article “Ferrocene pixels by laser-induced forward transfer: towards flexible microelectrode printing”, B. Mitu, A. Matei, M. Filipescu, A. Palla Papavlu, A. Bercea, T. Lippert, M. Dinescu, Journal of Physics D- Applied Physics (submitted)
- Reconstruction by “memory effect” of layered double hydroxides thin films grown by pulsed laser deposition, A.Matei, R. Birjega, A.Vlad, V. Marascu, M. Filipescu, C. Luculescu, R.Zavoianu, O.D.Pavel, M.C. Corobea, M. Dinescu – EMRS Conference, Lille, Franta May 2-6 2016 (POSTER)
- „Laser deposition of layered double hydroxides thin films”, A. Matei, 2D EMN Meeting - EMN Workshop on Nanomaterials and Nanostructures – San Sebastian, Spain, 18-22 May 2016 (INVITED)
- Layered double hydroxides thin films grown by laser techniques for food additives detection, A.Matei, R. Birjega, A.Vlad, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, V. Marascu, R. Zavoianu, O.D.Pavel, M.C. Corobea, M. Dinescu, ICPEPA 10 Confrence, Brasov, Romania 29 August - 3 September 2016 (POSTER)
- The selection of optimal deposition conditions for producing thin films of Mg-Al LDH using laser techniques, A. Marinescu, A. Matei, A. Vlad, R. Birjega, M. Filipescu, V. Marascu, M. Dinescu, I. Tirca, R. Zavoianu, O. D. Pavel, C. Corobea, ICPEPA 10 Confrence, Brasov, Romania 29 August - 3 September 2016 (POSTER)
- Spectroscopic and structural characterization of layered double hydroxides thin films, A. Marinescu, A. Matei, A. Vlad, R. Birjega, M. Filipescu, V. Marascu, M. Dinescu, I. Tirca, R. Zavoianu, O.D. Pavel, C. Corobea, IBWAP 2016 Conference, Constanta, Romania, 7-10 July 2016 (POSTER)
- Pulsed laser deposition of super hydrophobic thin films of layered double hydroxides, A.Matei, R. Birjega, A.Vlad, M. Filipescu, R.Zavoianu, O.D.Pavel, M.C. Corobea, M. Dinescu, Nanotech Conference, Whashington DC, USA, 22-25 May 2016 (POSTER)