Project name: Fabrication of flexible electronic micro-device networks via direct laser writing aiming at real-time pressure measurements
Contract no.: 25 / 01.10.2015
Project code: PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-0976
Program: Human Resources
Project type: Research projects for the stimulation of the forming of young independent research teams
Project director: Dr. Alexandra Palla Papavlu
Coordinator: National Institute for Lasers, Plasma, and Radiation Physics
Financing Authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
This project deals with the application of a laser-based technique, i.e. laser-induced forward transfer (LIFT) for the fabrication of different electronic components onto flexible substrates. The project FlexSens aims three specific objectives: i) to demonstrate the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of thin film transistors (TFT); ii) to demonstrate the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of an organic light emitting diode (OLED) array; and iii) to direct-write distinct electronic components (TFT, OLED, and pressure sensors (PSR)) onto flexible substrates.
This corresponds to the developments of a fully operational miniaturized electronic device that provides a visual response (OLEDs turn on) to the applied pressure (different intensities correspond to different magnitudes of pressure applied).
With this, we also aim to contribute to the consolidation of the micro-device fabrication industry in Romania, i.e. systems-on-plastic for general purposes. In fact, this is a strategic motivation for us and an important characteristic of this project, since systems-on-plastic are important not just for environmental monitoring and control, but also for medicine, health monitoring.
1. Demonstration of the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of a flexible TFT;
2. Demonstration of the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of a flexible OLED matrix;
3. LIFT writing of electronic components in different architectures onto flexible substrates.
Stage I (31.12.2015)
>>Stage I summary<< (click to view)
Activities: Selection of materials which will be used for laser processing.
Stage II (31.12.2016)
>>Stage II summary<< (click ti view)
1. Determining the experimental conditions for the fabrication of a TFT
2. Report on the best experimental conditions for the fabrication of OLEDs
Stage value for 2016: 276.491 lei.
Stage III (30.11.2017)
1. Report on the best experimental conditions for the single-step fabrication of TFT and OLED by LIFT
2. Report on the response of OLEDs, when pressure is applied
During the project's last stage we managed to prove that the LIFT technique enables the integration of various electronic components (transistors, OLEDs, and sensors made of organic and/or inorganic materials) onto flexible substrates. Moreover, this simple and cost-effective system on a flexible substrate allows us to determine the pressure profile without the integration of additional sophisticated circuitry.
1. Published paper: „Ferrocene pixels by
laser-induced forward transfer: towards flexible microelectrode printing”, B.
Mitu, A. Matei, M. Filipescu, A. Palla Papavlu, A. Bercea, T. Lippert, M.
Dinescu, in Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.
2. Paper accepted for publication: „Pulsed laser deposition of Ni thin films on Si (100) and flexible PDMS substrates”, F. Stokker-Cheregi, D. Colceag, M. Filipescu, V. Ion, A. Palla-Papavlu, A. Vlad, M Dinescu, in Romanian Reports in Physics
3. Paper in preparation: „Direct Laser Writing of Single Wall Carbon Nanotube Webs for High Performance Sensors”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Jikun Chen, Xuchun Gui, Maria Dinescu, Alexander Wokaun, Thomas Lippert
4. Published: Chapter 14. Laser printing of proteins and biomaterials, Alexandra Palla-Papavlu, Valentina Dinca, Maria Dinescu in „Laser Printing of Functional Materials: Fundamentals & Applications in Electronics, 3D Microfabrication and Biomedicine”, Alberto Piqué, Pere Serra, Wiley-VCH. ISBN: 978-3-527-34212-9 (2018)
5. Chapter ”Matrix-Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation of Organic Thin Films: Applications in Biology and Chemical Sensors”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Valentina Dinca, Mihaela Filipescu and Maria Dinescu in Laser Ablation - From Fundamentals to Applications, editor: Tatiana Itina, INTECH 2018, ISBN: 978-953-51-5565-2
6. Accepted for publication: „Laser-Induced Forward Transfer”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Thomas Lippert, in Handbook of Laser Technology & Applications, 2nd Ed, Editor Chunlei Guo
7. A book chapter has been accepted for publication: „Laser structuring of soft materials: laser-induced forward transfer and two-photon polymerization”, Favian Stokker-Cheregi, Alexandra Palla-Papavlu, Irina Alexandra Paun, Thomas Lippert, Maria Dinescu, in Advances in the Application of Lasers in Materials Science, Eds. M. Dinescu, D. Geohegan, A. Miotello, P.M. Ossi, Springer (2018)
8. Alexandra Palla-Papavlu, IONS-International OSA Network of Students, Balvanyos 25-28 July 2017, „Flexible micro-sensor fabrication via laser direct writing”, A. Palla Papavlu, T. Lippert, M. Dinescu. (25 July 14:30-15:00).
9. HPLA/DE (Conference on High Power Laser Ablation / Directed Energy) 4 - 7 April 2016 la Santa Fe, USA, “Laser Forward Transfer of nanostructures: towards original sensing applications”, M. Filipescu, A. Palla Papavlu, S. Vizireanu, M. Dinescu, G. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
10. HPLA/DE (Conference on High Power Laser Ablation / Directed Energy) 4 - 7 April 2016 la Santa Fe, USA, “Laser direct write of carbon structures onto flexible substrates”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
11. SLIMS - 15th IUVSTA School - Lasers for the Nano-Engineering of Surfaces Intl. School on Lasers in Materials Science, 10-17 July 2016 in San Servolo, Venice, Italy, “Laser Direct Writing via Multi Photon Absorption and Laser Induced Forward Transfer”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
12. ALT – Advanced laser technologies, 12-16 September 2016, in Galway, Ireland, “Advances in laser direct writing of carbon materials for flexible micro-device fabrication”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, T. Lippert, A. Wokaun, M. Dinescu.
13. 10th International Symposium on Flexible Organic Electronics (ISFOE17) Salonic, Greece, 3-6 July 2017, „Stretchable sensor arrays via laser direct write”, A. Palla-Papavlu, T. Lippert, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun.
14. The 15th International Conference on Advanced Materials (IUMRS-ICAM 2017) Kyoto, Japan, 27 August – 1 September 2017; „Direct laser writing of single walled carbon nanotubes for high performance gas sensors”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert (B-2: Advanced thin film materials for future electron device and sensor).
15. The 9th International Conference On Advanced Materials (ROCAM 2017) Bucuresti, 11-14 July 2017, „Laser direct write of flexible sensor systems”, Flavian Stokker, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Mihaela Filipescu, Maria Dinescu (Session 3, 16:00-16:15, 12 July).
16. Biomatsen-2nd International Congress on Biomaterials & Biosensors, 1-3 June 2016 in Istanbul, Turcia, „Advances in laser direct writing of hybrid carbon materials on nonconventional substrates”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
17. AFM-Advances in Functional Materials, 8-11 August 2016, in Jeju, Korea, “Laser direct writing of hybrid carbon-oxide nanostructures: towards original sensing applications” (S1:Carbon and metal oxide based composite materials), A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, T. Lippert.
18. IBWAP-16th International Balkan Workshop on Applied Physics and Materials Science, 7-9 July 2016, in Constanta, Romania, „Laser writing of micro-devices for flexbile electronics”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, T. Lippert.
19. EMRS-European Materials Research Society, 2-6.05.2016 la Lille, France, “Laser direct writing of carbon materials on nonconventional substrates”, A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
20. COLA (Conference on Laser Ablation), Marseille, France, 3-8 September 2017; „Laser-induced forward transfer of sensing devices”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Maria Dinescu, Thomas Lippert (Poster session 1 - 4 Semptemer18:00-20:00).
21. 2nd International Conference on Applied Surface Science (ICASS 2017) 12-15 June 2017, „Laser processing of polymer films for bio applications”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Mihaela Filipescu, Maria Dinescu, Dalian, China (P182, 14 June 16:20 – 18:30).
22. European Materials Research Society, EMRS Spring Meeting 2017, Strasburg 22-26 May 2017, „Laser direct writing of carbon materials on nonconventional substrates”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Mihaela Filipescu, Maria Dinescu, Thomas Lippert (X Symposium).
23. The 17th International Balkan Workshop on Applied Physics (IBWAP 17) Constanta, Romania, 11-14 July 2017, „Laser transfer of flexible sensor arrays”, Alexandra Palla Papavlu, Mihaela Filipescu, Maria Dinescu (Section 1: Materials Physics).