Project name: Fabrication of flexible electronic micro-device networks via direct laser writing aiming at real-time pressure measurements
Contract no.: 25 / 01.10.2015
Project code: PN-II-RU-TE-2014-4-0976
Program: Human Resources
Project type: Research projects for the stimulation of the forming of young independent research teams
Project director: Dr. Alexandra Palla Papavlu
Coordinator: National Institute for Lasers, Plasma, and Radiation Physics
Financing Authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
This project deals with the application of a laser-based technique, i.e. laser-induced forward transfer (LIFT) for the fabrication of different electronic components onto flexible substrates. The project FlexSens aims three specific objectives: i) to demonstrate the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of thin film transistors (TFT); ii) to demonstrate the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of an organic light emitting diode (OLED) array; and iii) to direct-write distinct electronic components (TFT, OLED, and pressure sensors (PSR)) onto flexible substrates.
This corresponds to the developments of a fully operational miniaturized electronic device that provides a visual response (OLEDs turn on) to the applied pressure (different intensities correspond to different magnitudes of pressure applied).
With this, we also aim to contribute to the consolidation of the micro-device fabrication industry in Romania, i.e. systems-on-plastic for general purposes. In fact, this is a strategic motivation for us and an important characteristic of this project, since systems-on-plastic are important not just for environmental monitoring and control, but also for medicine, health monitoring.
1. Demonstration of the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of a flexible TFT;
2. Demonstration of the feasibility of LIFT for the fabrication of a flexible OLED matrix;
3. LIFT writing of electronic components in different architectures onto flexible substrates.
Stage I (31.12.2015)
>>Stage I summary<< (click to view)
Activities: Selection of materials which will be used for laser processing.
Stage II (31.12.2016)
>>Stage II summary<< (click ti view)
1. Determining the experimental conditions for the fabrication of a TFT
2. Report on the best experimental conditions for the fabrication of OLEDs
Stage value for 2016: 276.491 lei.
1. Paper sent for publication: ”Ferrocene pixels by laser-induced forward transfer: towards flexible microelectrode printing”, authors: B. Mitu, A. Matei, M. Filipescu, A. Palla Papavlu, A. Bercea, T. Lippert, M. Dinescu, to Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics.
2. Book chapter – accepted for publication: Chapter 15. Laser printing of proteins and biomaterials, authors: Alexandra Palla-Papavlu, Valentina Dinca, Maria Dinescu in „Laser Printing of Functional Materials: Fundamentals & Applications in Electronics, 3D Microfabrication and Biomedicine”, editors Alberto Piqué, Pere Serra, Wiley-VCH.
1. HPLA/DE (Conference on High Power Laser Ablation / Directed Energy), 4 - 7 April 2016, Santa Fe, USA, “Laser Forward Transfer of nanostructures: towards original sensing applications”; M. Filipescu, A. Palla Papavlu, S. Vizireanu, M. Dinescu, G. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
2. HPLA/DE (Conference on High Power Laser Ablation / Directed Energy), 4 - 7 April 2016, Santa Fe, USA, “Laser direct write of carbon structures onto flexible substrates”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
3. SLIMS - 15th IUVSTA School - Lasers for the Nano-Engineering of Surfaces Intl. School on Lasers in Materials Science, 10-17 July 2016, San Servolo, Venice, Italy, “Laser Direct Writing via Multi Photon Absorption and Laser Induced Forward Transfer”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
4. ALT – Advanced laser technologies, 12-16 September 2016, Galway, Ireland, “Advances in laser direct writing of carbon materials for flexible micro-device fabrication”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, T. Lippert, A. Wokaun, M. Dinescu.
5. Biomatsen-2nd International Congress on Biomaterials & Biosensors, 1-3 June 2016, Istanbul, Turcia, „Advances in laser direct writing of hybrid carbon materials on nonconventional substrates”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.
6. AFM-Advances in Functional Materials, 8-11 August 2016, Jeju, South Korea, “Laser direct writing of hybrid carbon-oxide nanostructures: towards original sensing applications”, Symposium “S1:Carbon and metal oxide based composite materials”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, T. Lippert.
7. IBWAP-16th International Balkan Workshop on Applied Physics and Materials Science, 7-9 July 2016, Constanta, Romania, „Laser writing of micro-devices for flexbile electronics”; Autori: A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, T. Lippert.
8. EMRS-European Materials Research Society, 2-6.05.2016, Lille, France, “Laser direct writing of carbon materials on nonconventional substrates”; A. Palla Papavlu, M. Filipescu, M. Dinescu, A. Wokaun, T. Lippert.